May 2017 Board Minutes
Swanton Public Library
Board of Trustees
May 10, 2017
The regular meeting of the Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees was held on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. In attendance at the meeting were:
Rebecca Rupp, Chairman
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary
Paul Foisy, Trustee, via phone
Kathy Messier, Treasurer
Michelle Beaulieau, Director
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00
2. Motion to accept the April minutes (KM/PF motion and second) motion passed.
3. Kathy Messier presented the warrants for April. Motion to accept the warrants (KK/PF motion and second) motion passed. Kathy brought the budgets for the months of February, March and April which will be reviewed and discussed at the Financial Summit on May 24th.
4. Director’s Report: 1642 patrons visited the library this month with over 800 items checked out or renewed this month. Story hour had over 100 attending in total this month. Other programs this last month had extremely strong numbers, except the Adult Coloring activity. The decision to purchase two half whiskey barrels to plant flowers has been changed to buying pre seeded barrels from Hudak’s. They are pre seeded with red wave petunias. The daily activities over break were well attended with seed bombs and pet rocks having high attendance. Reader’s Theater is averaging around 20 children and one teen volunteer, and the outreach to the school continues with 150 students participating in Extension Thursday last month. The book sale brought in $122. 00 and while it is ongoing in the library, we will look to have another large sale this summer.
5. Director’s Priorities: Maker’s Space supplies and equipment order, as well as creating a policy for the space use. Disposal of junk in the basement hallway. This brought up the discussion of the broken furniture and other items stored in the corner of the King’s Daughter’s Room. It was decided that due to the letter that was sent some months back requesting the removal of those items, a new letter would be sent with a deadline that will enable us to remove it in order to create valuable space that is needed. Danielle’s job description was discussed with Michelle suggesting it stay the same with added programming and social media responsibilities. Becky and Michelle will be working with the Notch Camp once again this summer. The camp will not be happening at the library this year as it had last year This year it will be happening at the Recreation Dept.
6. Upcoming Programs: Bees with Mr. K is Saturday May 27th, Art display from NCSS will begin on May 24th, Campfires will begin again in June, Garden clean up and planning is Saturday, June 3rd, the last Reader’s Theater is June 8th, Rise VT Healthy Cooking Show up is June 13th, and the Backpack Theater Summer Reading kick off is Saturday, June 24th. Sidewalk Chalk Day is July 15th.
7. Building repairs: Neal will be talking with Joel Clark regarding the roof repairs.
8. Grant Updates: Becky reports that we did receive the VHC grant for History Camp.
Mariana Cohen DCF Program/ will be doing a book talk in September.
9. With the upcoming Financial Summit (May 24) banking privileges for the chair was discussed. A motion for Becky Rupp to be added and to have full banking authority was made KM/KK motion and second. Motion passed.
10.The meeting was adjourned at 8:25
The Next scheduled Board meeting is June 14, 2017.
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary