December 2018 Board Minutes
Swanton Public Library
Board of Trustees
December 10, 2018
The regular meeting of the Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees was held on Wednesday, December 10, 2018. In attendance at the meeting were:
Rebecca Rupp, Chairman
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary
Sarah Tanner, Trustee,
Kathy Messier, Treasurer (phone)
Ron Kilburn, Trustee
Judy Paxman, Swanton Art Council
- Meeting called to order at 5:35
- Judy Paxman from the Swanton Art Council was there to donate 2 books “How to Grow Your Art Business with Limited Time or Money” and “How to Communicate Effectively for Artists and Creatives” by Corrina Thurston.
- Motion to accept the November minutes (KM/RK) motion passed.
- Kathy Messier presented the budget as well as the warrants for November. Motion to accept the November warrants (KK/ST) motion passed.
- Kathy Messier informed us that James from CFCG will be at our next meeting regarding our accounts and to further explain our cash account.
- Kathy Messier informed us that as of January 31, 2019 she will no longer be a Trustee or Treasurer of the library, and has requested an audit of the books.
- With no Director Report, Becky did present an update with numbers, see attached.
- Board Issues: The Select Board didn’t accept our budget as it was written, but did agree to our increase, and have asked us for an audit. Becky has contacted AM Peisch and KBS regarding this. AM Peisch isn’t available until May, and KBS has not replied yet to the message left regarding this.
9. Caleb Rupp has accepted the position of the Director and will begin on January 8th.
10. With the urgency of having someone keeping the books, and being prepared for Kathy Messier’s resignation, a motion was made to offer Marie Speer to become an Interim Bookkeeper. (RK/KK motion/second) Motion passed.
11. Motion to advertise for a part time bookkeeper. (KK/RK motion/second) Motion passed.
12. With the shortage of staff, a motion was made to make Annie Matthieu, Joy Choquette, and Rhonda Richards substitute librarians. (RK/ KK motion/second) Motion passed.
13. Judy Paxman expressed an interest in taking the lead to create a volunteer group. Becky will get her the list of people who have already expressed an interest in volunteering.
14. Discussion of hours for New Years, motion made to close New Year’s Eve and Day. (KK/ST motion/second) Motion passed.
15. Grant Application updates: A 21 Century Grant is being offered to us to offer additional library hours and programs. Becky has written up the programs and submitted them, and we will wait to hear from Carol Lizotte regarding any questions, and the results of them.
16. Building Maintenance and Repair: The elevator has been certified, with a note that we have a cracked tube that needs to be repaired. A call in for that repair has been made.
17. Discussion of The King’s Daughter’s Room condition was had regarding the need to clean up the stored library items. Kathy and Becky will come in to clean and organize that space. We also talked about having Dave Winchester come in to look at the space to create a way to make an impermanent room divider to improve the use of the space.
18. Becky informed us that there is a Vermont Library Report that needs to be submitted by January 7th. This is not a report that we have ever seen, but will ask for an extension for the new director.
19. Harry Potter Night has been changed to Wednesday, February 6th due to Family Night at the Elementary School on the 7th.
20. The meeting was adjourned at 7:50
21. The next scheduled meeting is January 9, 2019
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary