December 2017 Board Minutes
Swanton Public Library
Board of Trustees
December 13, 2017
The regular meeting of the Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees was held on, Wednesday, December 13, 2017. In attendance at the meeting were:
Becky Rupp, Chair
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary
Paul Foisy, Trustee, via phone
Michelle Beaulieau, Director
- The meeting was called to order at 7:07
- Motion to accept the November minutes (PF/KK motion and second) motion passed.
- Kathy Messier was not present, no Treasurer’s Report.
- Director’s Report: 1674 patrons visited the library this month with 736 items checked out or renewed. Story hour had 25 children and 15 adults attending. David’s Dungeons and Dragons groups continue with good attendance, as does both the SPL Book Club, and the Old School Book Club. Pizza and Pajamas was attended by 16 children and 8 adults, and Holiday Crafts had 91 crafters in attendance.
- Board Issues: Discussion of proposed budget was limited without the Treasurer present. The salary reduction was discussed and decided not to reduce the amount for salaries. A letter has been sent to the King’s Daughters responding to the issues they presented.
Building issues: Neal Spear has given an estimate of $5050.00 for repairs and replacements of railings, installing weather stripping in old entry way and to remove rotted window casings and replace with PVC trim as well as seal the entire area to prevent leakage into main entryway.
The video security system needs updating as one camera isn’t working at all times. The board did discuss bundling services with Sunray or another security and fire system as a potential for better pricing and streamlining services as a way to handle this issue with efficiency.
As we have had children playing with and near the elevator, a warning sign will be made to alert parents to this issue
- Upcoming Programs: Harry Potter Night will be held on February 1, from 5 to 7. Valentine Crafting will happen in February as well, and Random Acts of Kindness Day is February 17 and many ideas were discussed for ways to celebrate this. March will come in like a lion with upcoming events of Healthy Families Night on March 1, Paint and Pizza March 2, World Wildlife Day on March 3rd, and a special Voting Day Activity for children to attend while their parents vote. Other upcoming events are a Spring Cleaning Night at the Library, and a Kid Craft Show and Book Sale.
- The Meeting was adjourned at 8:17.
- The Next scheduled Board meeting is January 10, 2018.
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary