Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees October 12, 2016
The regular meeting of the Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees was held on Wednesday, October 12, 2016. In attendance at the meeting were:
Randy Pilon, Swanton Farmer’s Market Rebecca Rupp, Chairman
Kathy Kneebone, Secretary Paul Foisy, Trustee
Kathy Messier, Treasurer
Michelle Beaulieu, Library Director
- The meeting was called to order at 7:05
- Randy Pilon was present to discuss the Farmer’s Market. It was decided that the Winter Farmer’s Market will once again be held at the library, and in the spring it will move onto the lawn at the library.
- Motion to accept the September minutes (KM/PF motion and second) motion passed
- Treasure’s report not available, will have next month. 2017 budget planning was discussed and will continue. Kathy did inform us that we must offer the American Funds IRA plan to all staff. Discussion was had and a motion was made to discontinue our contract with CSI, and to go into a contract with RJ Soule for our HVAC. (PF/KK motion and second) Motion passed. Kathy Messier will write a letter to inform CSI of the decision.
- Director’s Report, 1,863 patrons visited the library in September with 1,182 items checked out or renewed. 206 patrons accessed the library computers, showing us that our new computers are making a huge difference. The program numbers shown are strong in both children and adults attending programs. It is nice to see our library being accessed by all ages. Game night did not have any turn out this month, however, our Dungeons and Dragons group continues to grow and may possibly need to add an additional night. Priorities of the director are the emergency lighting issue, and storage.
- Board issues:
Elevator issues with water. We are waiting on Baystate Elevator and the electrician to coordinate a time to work on this together.
Emergency lights need to be replaced at a cost of $763.20. Makerspace update, meeting was had with the Swanton Arts Council and it is understood that we do not have space for storage of many materials for this right now.
Traveling Story Teller will be at the library on Friday, October 28th at 6:00.
Halloween in the park will be on Saturday, October 29th, we have books to hand out to trick or treaters and will show a movie at 6:15.
Fundraising was discussed and talked about looking into creating a “Friends of the Library” group to assist in this area.
Planning for Harry Potter night needs to begin soon to keep this strong program growing. Storage continues to be an issue, and with the large amount of equipment that came along with BBF (Building Bright Futures) it is becoming even more of an issue.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:45.
Respectfully Submitted, Kathy Kneebone, Secretary