Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees January 10, 2018
The regular meeting of the Swanton Public Library Board of Trustees was held on, Wednesday, December 10, 2018. In attendance at the meeting were:
Becky Rupp, Chair Kathy Kneebone, Secretary Kathy Messier, Treasurer Paul Foisy, Trustee, via phone Michelle Beaulieau, Director
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00
2. Motion to approve Neal Spear’s job estimate (KM/PF motion and second) motion passed.
3. Motion to accept the December minutes (PF/KK) motion passed.
4. Motion to accept the November and December warrants (KK/PF motion and second) motion passed.
5. Motion to authorize the board to make motions through email. (KK/PF motion and second) motion passed.
6. Director’s Report: 1433 patrons visited the library this month with 745 items checked out or renewed. Story hour had 26 children and 27 adults attending. David’s Dungeons and Dragons groups continue with good attendance, Lego Club has had no attendance, considering moving it to Saturdays. Danielle is doing an excellent job with Readers Theater which continues with 18 children each Thursday. This program will continue through the end of the school year. Kids Zumba had 1 child and 1 adult this month. Other programs in December were well attended. St. Nicholas Day brought 20 shoes from children to be filled by St. Nicholas, PJ Story Hour had 7 in attendance, Holiday Cookie Decorating had 22 children and 12 adults, Snowman Night Lights were made by 10 children and 2 adults. The SPL Book Club begins January 17 with 4 adults, and the Old School Book Club continues with 7 adults. Zumba with Jill has been on hiatus for most of December. New programming beginning this month: Winter Farmer’s Market, Diabetes group, Music and Movement for Babies and Toddlers, increased after school programs. February programs include, Harry Potter Night February 1, A 4 week program of Parenting the Strong Willed Child, and Valentine Crafts.
7. Director’s Priorities: Snow and ice build up on the roof, Neal will be called to look into this. Healthy Families Day, a joint program with RISE VT and NCSS on March 1. Employee reviews need to be done this month. Look into a computer class for adults 7. Board Issues: Discussion of the budget: Budget is set, the recommended change of the trust money being moved to the Capital Reserve line has been done. Building issues: Ice build up on roof as mentioned in Director’s priorities. Neal will be called to look into this. A sign will be made to be placed near the elevator to keep children from playing near it. History Camp grant application: Becky has asked for $2500 for 65 children to attend.
8. Upcoming Programs: Harry Potter Night will be held on February 1, from 5 to 7. Valentine Crafting will happen in February as well. Random Acts of Kindness Day is February 17, Becky has been working on paper kindness suggestions to fill a jar with for patrons to take one. March 18th How to Climb Your Family Tree” A Genealogy program with Christine Eldred sponsored by the Historical Society. 9. The Meeting was adjourned at 8:35. 10.The Next scheduled Board meeting is February 14, 2018.
Respectfully Submitted, Kathy Kneebone, Secretary